Reissued Practice Note SC CA 1 – Court of Appeal
On 1 May 2023 the Chief Justice reissued Practice Note SC CA 1– Court of Appeal, with a commencement date of 8 May 2023.
The main updates to the revised Practice Note include:
- the requirement to provide an electronic copy of the White Folder in a text searchable format (see ).
- clarifying the amount of time each party will be given to advance oral argument in a leave only hearing (see ).
- the requirement for parties to advise the registrar if a motion has resolved or will not proceed by 10.00am on the Friday prior to the hearing of a motion and for motions that are proceeding, submissions are to be provided by 12 noon on the Friday prior to the hearing of the motion (see ).
- clarifying how expedition may be sought in urgent matters (see ).
- the procedure where there are additional challenges to findings of fact (see ).
- a reduction to the number of hard copies of appeal books and the requirement to provide an electronic copy of the appeal books (see ).
- clarifying that grounds of appeal and written submissions are required to be filed in a text searchable pdf format (see ).
- notice that grounds of appeal and written submissions will be published on the Supreme Court's website (see ).
- clarifying that parties are required to clearly identify what type of appeal has been brought (see ).
- the requirement to supply a list of authorities no later than 10.00am two business days before the hearing (see ).
- a reduction to the number of hard copies of legislation and authorities (see ).
- the requirement for the parties to confer about the list of authorities to avoid the provision of duplicate copies (see ).
You can download printable versions of the Practice Note from the links below:
The content will also be available from 18 May 2023 on the following webpage: